URF or Unfortunate Rim Failure

Equipment failure 006

I don’t care to write posts like this. You know, posts about equipment failing. It happens. It’s part of being a cyclist. Stuff breaks. I expect it to happen on my older bikes. When it happens on my newest bike. The one with less than 3,000 miles on it. All I can do is scratch my head and wonder, “What the heck”?

As I was getting the bike ready to go for the New Years Day ride last Friday I noticed this:

Equipment failure 005

A split in the side of the rim. It’s even worse then it looks in this picture. It goes completely around this side of the rim. I’ve seen my share of split rims. But those have all been on rims with rims brakes. After a few winters of sand and salt and trying to stop at the bottom of Duluth’s hills, rims wear thin and split. That’s why I switched to disc brakes for this newest commuter bike. No more worn out rim sidewalls. WRONG! Ironic isn’t it.

If you look back at my post from last week called “Sore Fingers” you’ll see I mentioned these were the hardest rims to get tires onto I’ve ever owned. My thumbs were raw by the time I got the bead of the studded tires all the way onto this rim.

I’ve notified the manufacturer of these rims by email. I haven’t heard back. But if all they can offer me is a replacement rim I’ll say no thank you. I’m done with these rims. I went to my LBS today and ordered a new set of rims from another manufacturer. When they come in the shop will lace up both wheels for me. I do all my own maintenance with a few exceptions. I don’t do wheels. I’ve built one wheel myself in a class with an instructor looking over my shoulder 6 or 7 years ago. The process still scares me. I’ll leave this to the experts.

I’ve been riding the bike with the rim like this. Hoping it doesn’t blow out on me. The bike shop owner told me to stop riding it. I rode it home and parked it. It’s permanently down until the new wheels are built. URF!

7 thoughts on “URF or Unfortunate Rim Failure

1. capejohn January 6, 2016 / 1:02 pm

I have a ten year old winter beater that was my work commute bike back in those days. Reading this post gave me reason to give it a good once over looking for failures.
    I also got your note about camping. I tour a lot and have lost the camping comfort. After all, I go on Medicare in two weeks.

• fourseasoncycling January 6, 2016 / 3:21 pm

Always worthwhile to give every bike a once over once in awhile. It’s so easy to just get on and go and not worry about things. In my situation with this rim, I’m sure glad I noticed this before the rim completely failed.

2. Pondero January 6, 2016 / 6:03 pm

My sympathies… The irony in a case like this can make for a higher level of frustration. I can get truly annoyed if I take special measures to prevent something, only to experience it anyway. I am glad you are safe, and hope for a quick resolution.

• fourseasoncycling January 6, 2016 / 6:16 pm

Thanks. I’m a bit excited about the replacement rims I chose. It should make tire changes a tad easier. Not crazy about the hit to my pocketbook.

3. GreenComotion January 7, 2016 / 3:06 am

Hello Doug,
    Thanks for your visit.
    The trees shed their leaves in winter, but during some odd winters, not all trees shed their leaves.
    Atlanta weather can feel kinda tropical sometimes.
    The photo in that post may not have been taken during the winter time.
    Peace 🙂

PS. I do remember your blog from a few years ago.

• fourseasoncycling January 7, 2016 / 3:29 am

GreenCommotion, Thanks for stopping by. I haven’t referenced my earlier blog by name, but I realize some people recognize me from it. After I stopped blogging I bought a Brompton. Partially inspired by you. I enjoy the heck out of that little bike.